Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Wow! Ping G10 Driver

The Ping G10 Driver is an all Ti driver which is going back to what made the G lineup popular. The Rapture, a composite/titanium driver did not live up to the hype in my opinion and was very expensive. The first thing you see when you set the G10 down is one, its huge at 460cc yet it keeps a fairly classic head shape, a nice black finish with the same half moon alignment graphic on the crown of the head that the G5 driver sported. So whats the difference? I'll tell you.

Ping engineers optimized the G10 driver's crown, sole and face structure interaction to ensure maximum energy transfer to the ball. The 460cc driver features a larger profile with a taller face and deeper crown that produces a higher MOI (moment of inertia) for greater forgiveness and increased ball velocity.

When I hit some balls with last month, I will admit, I was impressed. I was able to square it up and the ball just jumped off the face! The ball launches high and really stays airborne for a longer period of time than that of the G5. Working the ball was a little challenging when it came to hitting a fade. Draws were no problem when I was able to get all the way around to the ball with that long shaft, but again, when you square this baby up, it flies!

The G10 is one of the wholesale golf equipment. It is basically a better version of the G5. It features a slightly higher MOI, promotes faster ball speed and a lot less spin than its big brother. This equates to not only longer drivers, but more forgiving ones as well. The shaft is still a big hangup with me, at just under 46" I feel it is a little too much for the average hacker out there to handle. When you square it up however, it goes and goes and goes! But again at the same time, the average shaft on the PGA Tour is 44.5"!

Overall, I would suggest this driver to anyone. I would also suggest using the Ping WRX club fitting service. Spend some time with your local pro or club maker and find a shaft and loft combination that will work best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment