Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Morrisson defends ‘Best of the Rest’ event

While Europe’s elite battle it out at the Volvo World Matchplay Championship in Andalucia, the rest of the European Tour will be out in the Atlantic for the Madeira Islands Open.

The event, co-sanctioned with the Challenge Tour, offers an inviting opportunity for others to make their mark. And James Morrison did just that in 2010 when he held off Oliver Fisher to claim his maiden European Tour title. And despite the leading players not being present, the Englishman is expecting a stiff test this week.

“Anyone can win in any given week,” the 26-year-old told the European Tour website. “Even though I’d had some decent results going into the tournament last year, probably not many people gave me much chance of winning. Yet I didn’t lose the lead from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon, so favourites mean very little.”

Morrison has had a disappointing start to the season, missing five consecutive cuts. But form has improved and he finished in a tie for seventh at the Ballantine’s Championship.

“I changed my coach after the Gulf Swing and we took a good look at my game and sorted out a few of the underlying technical issues,” he explained. “So I feel much better about my game now, because I’m now looking at the root causes and not trying to fix it with a band-aid.

“My season started in Andalucia really, and I had a few good weeks out in Asia which have really turned things around for me, so I’m very happy at the moment.”

I’m now at the point of my career where keeping my card is no longer my main focus – I’m more interested in the World Ranking and The Race to Dubai, and the best way to go about climbing both is by winning tournaments, so that’s what I’ll be trying to do this week, as every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment